The city of Bloomington was officially incorporated in 1858, and is named after Bloomington, Illinois – the city where its pioneers were originally from.
What started out as a small farming and flour milling community has now evolved into a dynamic community. Bloomington is considered one of the most desirable cities in the region to live in, and it’s quite easy to see why – the city is home to the country’s largest shopping mall, and boasts a vibrant blend of unique attractions, amazing restaurants, world-class hotels, and acres of breathtaking natural areas.
At a glance
- Bloomington covers a total area of about 38 square miles, and is home to an estimated population of approximately 86,000 residents.
- Around a third of the entire city is reserved for parks and outdoor areas. Two of Bloomington’s largest natural areas include the Hyland Lake Park Reserve and the Minnesota Valley’s wetlands.
- Bloomington features a huge number of employers that provide over 100,000 jobs. Major companies with headquarters in Bloomington include Thermo King, HealthPartners, Donaldson Company, Ceridian, and Toro.
Places of interest
- Mall of America – Open since 1992, the Mall of America is the largest shopping mall in the entire US. Considered one of the top tourist destinations in the country, Mall of America boasts a total floor area of more than 700,000 square meters and is home to more than 520 stores, restaurants, and family-friendly attractions.
- Richardson Nature Center – The Richardson Nature Center is a breathtaking natural paradise located minutes from the city. Part of the Hyland Lake Park Reserve, the center features scenic trails, exhibits, an exploration area for children, an amphitheater, and more.
Schools in Bloomington are served by the Bloomington Independent School District 271. These schools include:
- Hillcrest Community School
- Indian Mounds
- Normandale Hills
- Oak Grove
- Poplar Bridge
- Valley View
- Oak Grove Middle School
- Olson Middle School
- Valley View Middle School
- Thomas Jefferson
- John F. Kennedy
The higher-education institutions in the city include:
- Normandy Community College
- Northwestern Health Sciences University
- Bethany Global University
- Rasmussen College
Homes for Sale in Bloominton MN
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.