Once a rural farming community during its early days, the city of Richfield was officially incorporated in 1908, after it adopted a president-trustee form of government.
A first-ring suburb to Minneapolis, Richfield experienced a population boom after World War II, with many war veterans relocating during the late 1940s to 50s.
Today, Richfield provides over 35,000 residents with an outstanding quality of life. Even with its very close proximity to downtown Minneapolis, the city manages to retain its small town character.
With a top-performing public school system, an established infrastructure, safe neighborhoods, and tons of incredible amenities, Richfield is a fantastic place, especially for growing families.
At a glance
- The city is named after the rich and fertile farmland that once filled the area.
- Richfield covers an expanse of roughly 7 square miles.
- Major US electronics retailer Best Buy has its corporate headquarters in Richfield, and is the city’s largest employer, with more than 5,000 employees.
- Annual events in Richfield include the Citywide Garage Sale, the 4thof July Celebration, the New Year’s Eve Skating Party, and the Candlelight and Ice New Year’s Eve Program.
Places of interest
- The Ice Arena is home to two full-size indoor skating rinks perfect for hockey, figure skating, and community events.
More than 4,000 students in Richfield are served by the Independent School District 280.
Schools in Richfield include:
- Centennial Elementary
- Sheridan Elementary
- R-STEM Elementary
- RDLS Elementary
- Richfield Middle School
- Richfield High School
Private schools in Richfield are:
- Academy of Holy Angels
- Blessed Trinity Catholic School
- The Fraser School
- Mount Calvary Lutheran School