Originally occupied by Hopewell Native American tribes more than 2,000 years ago, St. Paul is a city with a very rich and colorful history. During the early 1800s, St. Paul was primarily known as the location of Fort Snelling, which provided protection for many explorers, fur traders, and missionaries.
During the 1930’s prohibition era, St. Paul was known as a safe haven for gangsters and whiskey runners, including famous names such as John Dillinger, Babyface Nelson, and Alvin “Creepy” Karpis.
Today, St. Paul is the capital of Minnesota as well as its second-most populous city. Part of the “Twin Cities” alongside Minneapolis, St. Paul exudes an old world charm, with remnants of its interesting past sitting alongside unique attractions, world-class shops and restaurants, and sizzling entertainment venues.
At a glance
- St. Paul was officially incorporated on March 4, 1854.
- St. Paul is home to an estimated population of nearly 300,000 residents.
- The city occupies a total area of around 56 square miles, and is the confluence of both the Mississippi and the Minnesota River.
- Pig’s Eye Lake, Lake Phalen, and Lake Como are the largest lakes in St. Paul.
Places of interest
- Cathedral of Saint Paul – A historical landmark and a prominent part of the city skyline, the Cathedral of Saint Paul amazes hundreds of thousands of visitors each year with its beautiful architecture and storied past.
- Wabasha Street Caves – Built into the sandstone caves south of the Mississippi River, the Wabasha Street Caves used to serve as the home of mobsters and speakeasies in the past. Visitors can take a guided tour to know more about its interesting and unique history.
The Saint Paul Public Schools District is Minnesota’s second largest school district, serving an estimated student population of over 42,000.
The city is also recognized for its many top-quality higher education institutions, which include:
- Concordia University
- Hamline University
- Macalester College
- Metropolitan State University
- Saint Catherine University
- Saint Paul College
- University of St. Thomas
Homes for Sale St. Paul MN
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.